Monday, August 08, 2005

you haul to you hell

It's like the "When Harry met Sally" High Maintenance discussion:

Some folks are good at moving.
Some folks are not.
Some folks are not good at moving but think that they are.

I have shed myself of my illusions and will say that I am not.
Good at moving.

----

Good gracious, U-Haul is an aggravating company to deal with. I think they hire people based on how slow they walk. The first thing after you fill out the application they probably ask you to cross the room to bring over a coffee mug and if you take more than 15 minutes, you're hired.

To be fair this week and next week are the big move out days for most of the apartments in town. But hey, Meijer brings in temps and help from Bloomington to accomodate busy times in the summer and fall, one would think that a moving truck rental company would have the same foresight.

I walked in to drop off the trailer that I rented for my garage sale and there were three people in front of me and I waited in line for 40 minutes. Nobody was answering the phones which were ringing like mad and there were three people behind the counter. One of which was processing keys, the others were with customers.

I was calm by this point. It was my third time queing over the past two days with 7 phone calls to a busy signal, and 2 calls in which I was on hold for over 40 minutes. I knew what to expect. I should have brought the newspaper or a radio to listen to NPR.

It was as maddening as the DMV.

I would be willing to pitch in behind the counter for an hour answering phones and dealing with paper work for a 20% discount on my rental. I might even do it for less to free if it would speed things up. Seriously.

2 comments:

BeckyBumbleFuck said...

*sigh* Am i considering moving? I think I changed my mind.......(remind me next year when I go through this again...*wink*)

ergo said...

JP pointed out to me that if I were working for slightly over minimum wage and had to deal with stressed out angry yelling people all day I would probably take my sweet time and deal with the fewest customers possible.

Just leave Noel with a babysitter and bring a really good book with ya.
;)