Monday, August 08, 2005

Post for MomVee, rather than hog the comments section

-In 1994, I told PC about how great it would be to have websites that were bridal registries.

-I thought it would be great to manufacture and sell small disposable doodads that you could blow into and they would indicate your blood alcohol level. For the folks who aren't sure when to say when.
(I think other people beat me to the punch on this one. But I want to know why I can't buy this at every bar in town for a quarter? Especially considering there is usually a condom dispenser in the bathroom.)

-And I thought of opening a coffee shop/music stores where each table had a listening station where you could listen to streams of music (preferably from independent artists and record labels) that you could buy in the shop. Because breaking new music to people is hard without means of distribution and outlets for play. Especially, with the strangle hold that corporate radio and big record labels have on the industry. Because people need more "third places" (not home or work) to spend their time and because people are reluctant to buy an ablum if they don't know if they will like it. (Starbucks is doing this with Alanis Morisette's new album.) When I told PC about this idea he encouraged spinning it as a franchise. He thought it was the kind of thing that would hit big in urban areas in Mainland China.

Another idea I had (which no one will probably want to do):
tieing music with other supermarket products.

Rock and Roughage - a healthy high fiber cereal that features a different rock band/musical artist on the cover (like wheaties) and there is a mini-CD EP inside with every purchase.

or

Rag and Rock - *ahem* feminine products that used the same gimmick, only featuring bands with women artists.

If this last idea gets picked up by Post or Kotex I will roll on the floor with laughter and then curse the gods for not doing it myself. LOL.

(There's actually a guy in town who claims to be the true inventor of the microprocessor. He says that it was his idea and Motorola stole it from him. You just never know.)
(erratum via Juvenilia: Intel stole his idea, not Motorola so you can stop hatin' on them now.)

3 comments:

ergo said...

fishlamp: I would be too. New tunes, coffee and people watching is an appealing combination.

If I had any clue as to how to get started I might take a crack at one of these. It would be a big change of pace from my history as a wage slave and lab lackey.

Faith said...

i thought that it was INTEL who stole his idea. anyway even if he DID, his wife is insane.

ergo said...

JV: his wife is indeed insane.