Tuesday, August 02, 2005

"Is one of us supposed to be a DOG in this scenario?"

This October I will be old enough to run for president. But more importantly, this October I will be 5 in dog years.

And the mind wanders.

How do dogs perceive time? We have all heard that they see the world in black and white. We have all heard that they devote considerable brain power to the sense of smell. And according to Dr. Nicholas Dodman, author of "The Dog Who loved too Much", you can give them Valium for anxiety and Prozac for depression.

As a dog do the minutes fly by 7 times faster? The thought is dizzying. I have been trying to imagine what my life would look be like if it was sped up by 7x. If I cut out all that time in front of the television, it might not be quite as bad. Still, I probably wouldn't hang my head out the window of a speeding car. *weak stomach*

Is that why after a certain age they lay around all day slightly lifting their heads and thumping their tails in greeting? Some days I feel like that already. I don't want to play fetch. My bones are tired. I just want to sprawl out on the couch. This at the tender age of 5.

Or is it like a slow motion camera and they perceive smaller intervals of time with greater awareness than we do?

Get a me a physicist, relativity must involved.

5 comments:

Lever said...

5? You sure? I'll be 245 in dog years this September!!

And that certain animals only see in b&w... is that true too?

ergo said...

Lever: My factcheckers have been taking long liquid lunchbreaks this summer but according to this site I will actually be 5.5 years.

And you are correct in that dogs do see color but apparently are colorblind. Additionally they have excellent night vision.

Management will do their utmost to prevent the further spread of misinformation from this site and we at "Things to Do " heartily apologize. Or at least in the future we will be passing the buck to the fine people at Google. ;P

*On a more personal note, let me add that based on photos from BBFK you are very well preserved. You don't look even a fraction of your dog age! =D*

searchingforMrDarcy said...

Sometimes you think great thoughts girl. My mind reels. Maybe thats why they are so damn happy to see us, when we get back, cause to them we've been gone for an eternity.

Lever said...

Ah, OK Ergo, cheers :)

And colourblind dogs... now that's interesting... especially the bit "dogs see objects in the dark as if lit by an eerie glow."...

Well preserved? Why thx :) Hey hold on a mo... did BBFK say I was pickled? LOL

BeckyBumbleFuck said...

LMAO....pickled? Now there's an idea, I DO like pickles...

Um, *ahem* where was I?. Right. Props for the When HArry Met Sally line, girl. And cheers to dogs as well! I seem to be attracted to cat-loving people....everyone I know owns cats, except my bro. And I'm obviously NOT attracted to him and his stank-ass.