Sunday, August 28, 2005

Take the Long Way Home

Yesterday I discovered that after ten years of not living in the greater Lou area, I don't know my way around here at all. I meandered around missing my exits, driving past Arnold, MO well on my way to Cape Girardo, MO in an act of sheer pig headedness. This would eventually have brought me to Memphis and on the way past a Lambert's Cafe where the staff throws dinner rolls at any diner who puts a hand in the air with a bread craving. Eventually I missed enough turns to get turned around all the way back home. But it was a fiasco. Mapquest is not enough sometimes. I need a map, a compass, and talking GPS system. And I am still looking for my brain.

While waiting for word from the Saturn people on the status of the air conditioning system on My Guy's car, we went to Borders and read books. I perused the first pages of "The Wisdom of Crowds" by James Surowiecki. The premise is that the aggregate decision of a group of people will lead to very good choices, in some cases better choices than any individual (even perhaps, an expert) could come up with alone. It's an interesting premise. I would like to get my mitts on a copy for longer than 40 minutes and get a good read on.

No comments: