Saturday, August 27, 2005

a quote quilt

"life is very short
and there's no time
for fussing and fighting my friend
I have alway thought
that it's a crime
so I will ask you once again" -The Beatles

hold up, Dude, you're gonna die
so let me make
the compelling case for trying to see it my way

"A woman came up to me and said I'd like to poison your mind
with wrong ideas that appeal to you
though I am not unkind" -They Might Be Giants

come here and take this drink
you should try it
it is bitter but you're gonna like it.
with its potent side and front effects

"There's only one thing that I know how to do well
and I've often been told that you only can do
what you know how to do well
and that's be you
be what you're like
be like yourself,
and so I'm having a wonderful time
but I'd rather be whistling in the dark" -They Might Be Giants

a life of quiet desperation
not like the smart sunny funny places
stretched thin and invisible
faint and barely audible
mundane and peculiar
a pedestrian insanity
typical of humanity
for all the running and hiding
pretending, boasting, lying, and trying
the acts of redemption
the modes of self invention
and group intervention
that lead to ends like this
I am what I am you is what you is we ain't what we ain't they is what they are and that's that

"Hello.
Is there anybody in there?
just nod if you can hear me
Is there anyone home?" -Pink Floyd

Is there anybody out there
hello-hello-hello?
a pronoun to
wander and mumble
refuse to use
the right tool
refuse to use
good advice
refuse to use
logic

a deafening chorus of crickets
that fill up the thickets

"There is no pain, you are receding
A distant ship's smoke on the horizon.
You are only coming through in waves
your lips move but I can't hear what you're sayin'
When I was a child I had a fever
My hands felt just like two balloons
Now I've got that feeling once again
I can't explain, you would not understand.
This is not how I am
I have become comfortably numb." -Pink Floyd

It's a song association game

It's just a circle of string
I used to wear as a ring
that said I'm glad we share a life
and i would play your wife
in a tiny house of woven reeds
past the road behind the trees
further out than I can see
some days I get carried away

"I can't pretend a stranger
Is a long-awaited friend" -Rush

"Living on a lighted stage
approaches the unreal
For those who think and feel
In touch with some reality
beyond the gilded cage" -Rush

*quoting Rush is so teenage boy of my youth*

"Talk to me, *shoo wa shoo wa shoo wa* like lovers do *shoo wa shoo wa*
Walk with me, *shoo wa shoo wa shoo wa* like lovers do *shoo wa shoo wa* "
-The Eurythmics

*and the swell of strings rising up to one note*

It is a song association game
from a waking, sleepless, fevered brain
sound and fury
and jungle shrimp curry
leading back at last to sleep

*Shhhhhh*

"Close your eyes and I'll kiss you" -the Beatles