Thursday, September 01, 2005

crosspostage : sometimes a girl can't help it ...

I fight back tears when I catch an occasional newsbyte or a soundbyte about Hurricane Katrina. A man was telling a reporter about how he was holding his wife's hand in the water and at some point he couldn't hold on any longer and before she was swept away she turned to him and instructed him to take good care of their children.

But -

There was one segment in which they were filming people looting stores (Entire Walmarts have been stripped bare. Little kids and teens riding bikes in the aisles.)

in which there is a shot of a woman walking away from a shopping district carrying a cardboard box and as she walks by the camera she exclaims, "the flood took all my shoes!" to explain herself.

I had to laugh. Because I love shoes too and maybe I shouldn't, but I feel happy thinking of this woman taking something for herself in a time when so much has been lost to the weather and the water.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Help Katrina relief efforts with your traffic
It is with growing horror that I read the reports related to the situation in Louisiana, and the distressing situation that the victims are facing.
hair option permanent removal Resources and Information

ergo said...

Anonymous: There is no question that Katrina is a hairy-ass storm that has put people in some really hair-raising situations but excuse me for failing to see how permanent hair removal is going to solve any of these problems. Unless you're selling tweezers or epilators from the Gulf Coast in which case you should just frickin' say so.

Lever said...

Anon is obviously not a spammer from New Orleans...

So shoes... yeah, sod the house, water, food, medicine; what a woman needs in times of crisis is SHOES! LOL

Kat E said...

That is the best comment spam I've seen so far...

ergo said...

lever: I am hoping that the she and her family had already gathered the boring ole necessities.

kat e: That was the second anonymous spam comment. I deleted the first one for home and pet liability insurance, but thought the second to be priceless.