Tuesday, September 27, 2005

babblement

a) The governor of Georgia called for two "pre-snow days" closing the schools on Monday and Tuesday to save fuel 450,000 gallons of diesel. link This was announced on the Friday before the closings and parents had to scramble to find day care or stay home from work. Savings for the state of Georgia is offset by additional cost and trouble to its citizens. G-dub praised the governor for his resourcefulness. But mothers at the mall with their children felt that in light of their state's low SAT scores, keeping schools open might have been the better option.

b) I looked in the rearview mirror and spied a young man drinking something out of a can wrapped in a brown paper bag. Allow me to jumping to conclusions here and say: "Sippin' on a 40 while driving home from work is foolish. Dude, if you're that hard up, pour rum in a 20oz. of coke. Did you forget everything you learned in high school? Geez."

c) I have gained some weight. There is the six pack, the washboard (never had either), the belly, the buddah belly, then comes the ledge. It's a band of fat that appears above the buddah belly and creates an excellent shelf on which to balance drinks and books. That's me. I was at a value store pretending to shop for wedding guest clothes and instead found some flashy fabulous shirts that totally distract from said belly and shelf. They are brilliant. Nothing like a giant sequined pink butterfly on the chest (lung-sized) and ornate floral flame under it to drawn attention away from certain facts about your figure. It's beyond figure forgiving. It's all out camo. I did not buy that particular item but I did shed little shiny pink sparklies with me for the rest of the day. This is all driving my mother crazy. I am calling it my Anna Nicole Show phase.

d) Trader Joe's is trying to steal my money. They just mailed me a 16 page flyer with elaborate desciriptions of what is delicious and on sale at their store this week. I love to read about food. But for now, my heart belongs to Aldi's not just because of the austerity, discounts, and diversity of clientel, but I love that the cashiers sit on chairs while they scan items and make change.

e) Before I got serious about my thesis I took up knitting and crochet at the same time as I got hooked on Public Affairs programming on PBS. I watched or taped hours of documentaries along with news programs and listened to them while I sat at home knitting or crocheting. That was a way to pass a Friday night. I made an ugly hat, mittens and two scarves before I decided that I had to stop! And redirect my energies.

Knitting is kind of a drag. 'cause I'm not good enough that I can talk or look away to watch TV or a movie or be at a meeting while I do it. And it takes me forever. But I want to get better such that I can do it on the train or the airplane or at meetings. I am making double knit leg warmers. And after that I am finally going to face down my fears and take a crack at my first sweater.

I am in a crafty mood. I want to sew all my t-shirts into handkerchiefs and make rags into quilts. I have romanticized the quilter's circle. *I don't even know anyone who sews*

5 comments:

searchingforMrDarcy said...

Embarrasingly I realize that I have used my shelf to balance food or drink items. Hhhmmm, maybe liposuction wouldn't be so bad.

Almost didn't make it through this one. Very long. But I totally want to make a rag rug too. Unfortunately it takes lots of rags.

MomVee said...

And man, those Aldi cashiers are fast scanners! With that and bagging my own stuff, I never have my money out on time.

Kat E said...

I hear they are calling that belly ledge a "muffin top" these days...

And I'm right there with you in that crafty mood...it is just a matter of finding the right craft and I will start a website and sell the crafts and become filthy rich. or maybe, more realistically, just make a buck or two here and there? it'd just be cool to sell something you made, I think.

ergo said...

Fishlamp: It's very cool.

SFMD: I have decided that most of my wardobe is begging to become rags right now. I fear the posts are only going to get longer. Consider yourself warned.

MomV: I didn't have a quarter for a cart last time and they were visibly perturbed to have me there gumming up the works taking my items out of the checkout shopping cart. =)

KatE: Muffin top. I am amused and disturbed to find that it has a proper and very cute name.

I think to get filthy rich you have to stop calling it a craft and start calling it folk art.
I saw a really cute pattern for a knitted hat with kitty ears. I might have to further investigate this.

searchingforMrDarcy said...

The problem with crafts/folk art is they take alot of work. I'd like to make soap. But all the materials I'd have to buy to get started and my tiny kitchen, it just hasn't happened.