Saturday, December 17, 2005

bows, the tying up of loose ends, and the liberation of G

I moved plants from the office to the 705. Some of them were quite tall. I drove over with the rear windows down so that they could hang out the window like dogs that love travel. Stems quivering, leaves flapping like mad. They have suffered greatly in my care, fighting for their very survival. And now under SM's green thumb my hope is that they grow grow grow.

I wrapped gifts today and had a flashback to another gift wrapping occasion. At a gathering at AC's apartment a fellow named Marcello was watching me fumble with tape and wrapping paper. Being a bit of a Felix Unger, with a passion for gift wrap, he asked if he could help me and then proceeded to wrap with precise creases and beautiful curls of ribbon, narrating his process all the while. I had my beer and nodded in appreciation, half listening, learning nothing. He did a lovely job, though. My mother would have been so proud. I know several girls at the party were very impressed.

These gifts today look rumpled but festive. My Guy assures me that the improvised bows are pretty before dropping off to sleep. That'll do.

We close with a shout out to G who has taken her last final exam of her undergraduate career. Yay! Hep, Hep, Hoorah!

3 comments:

Sassy said...

Reading this made me panic because I haven't even bought presents let alone wrapped them...

When I get to that point, I can guarantee that I will also rumple them in my haste.

Jay said...

I love how much care you give the plants.

I am a master gift wrapper. It's a talent. Or, I just have too much time on my hands.

ergo said...

sassy: Even with time to wrap carefully, I still end up rumpling them. Best of luck with the shopping!

jay: master gift wrapping is indeed a talent. My mother is a master wrapper, of gifts. It's definitely a mark of gracious living.