Friday, January 05, 2007

A slew of farewells

Gerald Ford. In the first grade he was the president for me. I just liked the look of him. I knew nothing about politics.

James Brown. After I heard the news I walked around for about a week muttering to myself "I can't believe he's gone." My father thought I have gone daffy. I still can't believe he's gone. Who is going to get on the scene like a sex machine now? Who else would tour as a Funk Act at the age of 73? Who is that superbad?

Local Chambanana Figure Chef Ra.
One summer evening at Mike and Molly's he winked at me as he passed with his date and said to me with a big grin "Even ugly people need love." Which is true. We all need love.

And the Coliseum. This really great independent bookstore on 42nd street between 5th and 6th ave. It has on many occassions been my refuge in my treks through the city. It's the place where I first discovered the book "On Bullshit." And I am sad to see it close.

My very first president, my funk idol, a man who made my small town feel friendly and a place that made my big city feel sheltering.

You are grieved and fondly remembered.

RIP

2 comments:

Kat E said...

Oh, I didn't know about Chef Ra! I hung out with him at Mike & Molly's (before it was Mike & Molly's) one night, what a character. That's sad that he's gone. What happened?

ergo said...

Apparently, he died in his sleep.