Wednesday, April 19, 2006

vocab building

I ran across this book that was entitled something like : "100 words that a college student should know."

I was embarassed to discover that while I recognized about all the words. I had the definitions of a good number of them wrong. Worse, in some cases I thought the word meant the opposite of what it actually did. Time for me to snuggle up with Mr. Webster or Ms. Oxford English.

Today I learned that intrepid means brave or courageous. It's from the Latin: Intrepidus. in = not + trepidus = alarmed.

Reminds me of how FS was instructed by a friend in Austria to correct any grammatical mistakes that the girl made speaking English. To this she shrugged and said, "I don't know the grammar, I just speak the language."

For further english lessons, I refer you to Professor Fishlamp. =)

1 comment:

ergo said...

I considered doing the same after reading your post. =)

Perhaps word of the day tissues would help expand my verbiage.