Saturday, April 08, 2006

Power yoga the MTV way

The kind and gentle yoga that I have been praticing seems to have already had some effects. I can touch my toes. I seem to play computer games better. I do not get impatient with other drivers when they cut me off or when traffic gets nasty. And I am developing this one muscle in my leg from excessive foot flexing.

But I have been meaning to transition to Power Yoga (also known as Flow Yoga, Vinyasa, and Ashtanga). CE swears by it as a really excellent workout. I borrowed the "MTV Power Yoga" DVD from the library. The backbend and floor stretching sections of the DVD are totally trashed. The rest of it is totally kicking my butt. I sweat buckets trying to keep up with the MTV hipsters. While I am familiar with most of the poses linking them together with the inhale and exhale of the breath is a different kind of challenge.

To get all that motion going the instruction is pretty focused on the poses. It offers an increase in heartrate and a different kind of mental/physical challenge as well but at the expense of (at least with this instructor) the poetry of being instructed to "open up like a flower in spring time" and the stillness of trembling in a pose for six breaths.

No comments: