Wednesday, April 05, 2006

boozy chewy oatmeal cookie?

I wish that I could afford cable TV. For one reason: I LOVE the Food Network. My Guy and I paused on the channel for the last 8 minutes of "Good Eats" this past weekend.

Alton Brown was doing a segment on how to make a chewy cookie. (My answer has always been to throw the cookies in a plastic container while still warm.) We tried two of his suggestions:

More brown sugar - brown sugar attracts moisture to itself so altering your white to brown suger ratio will help with chewiness. (using molasses probably would too but then you have to concern yourself with that distinct molasses flavor.)

Less egg white - egg whites have a drying effect. Skewing your yolk to egg white ratio towards yolks will make for more moist-osity.

Additionally, we added a touch less flour.

We made these three alterations to a back-of-the-container Oatmeal cookie recipe (with chocolate chunks and a splash of kahlua, bailey's, or rum. We thought a chocolate rum raisin oatmeal cookie might be kind of cool. The boozes and their flavoring baked away. But as Mr. Brown promised, the cookies were moist and chewy.

Halfway there.

No comments: