Thursday, July 14, 2005

the shit that shows that I am one of them no action - all type and hype gals

You have seen my unacheivable two year plan. Now let me offer up my summer vacation activity wishlist:

I have friends going to the crimethinc convergence in Bloomington, IN. It sounds kinda fun. Especially if you are 17 year old, radical, empassioned, force to be reckoned with, who drives a station wagon converted to run veggie oil. =)

I am considering going to the intonation music festival. I should not as I have not heard of or heard 90% of the artists that are playing, I lack cash, and I need to be furiously writing or packing up my house. But perhaps the irresponsible will win out in the end because my ears are tired of what they've been hearing and could stand the lift of hours (and hours) of new (and live) music.

I also want to go to the Prometheus Radio Barnraising. Prometheus and Grassroots Radio are joining together to help Northampton, MA set up their community low power FM radio station and get it on the air. They will build and install a radio transmitter and have lots of hands on workshops about radio related stuff - production and whatnot. Alas, I will be here grading exams to bring home the bacon. If I had my druthers I'd be there.

And the state of Illinois department of natural resources has a Fall program called "Becoming an Outdoors-Woman Workshop." They have sessions on stuff like canoeing, firearm safety, orienteering, archery, medicinal plants, edible plants in the wild, and turkey hunting. I have never even been camping. It would be totally out of my comfort zone. Can you imagine me eating bugs and making fire by rubbing two sticks together? Yeah, me neither. But I am intrigued.

(I am at a very skills oriented phase of my life. It's like Peter said to Heidella re: the story of Heidi - I am still wanting to learn in this part of my life - we'll see what I do with what I learn in the next part of my life {you need to read/see Wendy Wasserstein's play "The Heidi Chronicles"} )

4 comments:

MomVee said...

The Heidi Chronicles is like scripture to me. But I also like this line from "Isn't It Romantic": "I want very much to be someone else without actually going through the trouble of changing myself into someone else."

Kat E said...

If I were there I would totally go to the Outdoor Woman workshop with you. No bug eating, though, it's against my religion.

searchingforMrDarcy said...

I would go to the Outdoor Woman workshop if it wasn't so damn expensive. But you should go. You'll have money someday

ergo said...

MV: Nice line. Wendy hits it right so many times.
Everytime I meet a new man that I adore I think of the scene between Heidi and Peter when they first meet. Something to the effect of: "I want to know you all my life. If we can't marry let's be great friends."

Kat e: If you were here I would drag you with me. At least you have know how to pitch a tent! And as a woman who has camped in the snow I'll bet you could run many of those workshops.

SFMD: 'cmon now. When you get that proposal in and accepted you'll be doing just fine!