Tuesday, July 19, 2005

not so short post #3

Ever notice how your guy does not have to be the smartest, best-looking, or sexiest guy you've ever been with but it will totally needle him if you imply that he's not the funniest guy you've ever met.

JE is the funniest person I have ever met. Whenever I say this to any man it immediately causes offense.

Don't get me wrong I have met some really funny people while in grad school. (you are all nodding and trying to think something charitable about grad students, right?) SO frequently caused me to choke on beverages that I was trying to imbibe and PJ would have me lightheaded from laughing. And MomVee (while not being from my grad school phase) is in point of fact terrifically funny.

Nonetheless, JE tops my book. One of the great things about JE (and all my favorite funny people) is that he is never working the room to be King of the Funny Hill. It's not a competition to him. He is a generously funny dude, not only will he laugh at your joke because he loves to laugh, he will then build off of your joke and spin out an even bigger laugh (even if your initial joke was not that funny.)

6 comments:

MomVee said...

Aw, thanks, ergo.

Another fascinating aspect of the phenomenon you describe is that (at least in my experience with a more traditional family than mine) guys don't particularly want their gals to be funny. I can make R. practically wet his pants laughing but in the calm light of day funny is just never part of his image of me. And his dad, R2, laughs at my jokes but seems surprised to be laughing _every_ _damn_ _time_.

Whereas in my family of origin wit is the greatest good.

misswg said...

Hoo boy, do I second that, MomVee! I remember the first time I visited N's family and noticed how much he and his father tease his mother and sister. When the teasing turned on me (gently) and I handed some of it back, one would have thought I'd taken out a rifle and started describing how I liked to shoot small animals with it. Apparently girls don't make the funny in his family (though they're sort of getting used to me by now).

I second ergo's nomination of you as terrifically funny, btw. And ergo, you yourself can bring quite the laugh!

ergo said...

The whole subject of women and funny is deserving of its own dissertation. Funny women are out of the comfort zone of lots of people, like funny and feminine are mutually exclusive or something.

Too often when he says that she has a really good sense of humor what he means is that she laughs at his jokes.

Maybe the new frontier of feminism is a world in which the girls are free to be funny too.

BeckyBumbleFuck said...

Cheers to JE and PJ *wink* and huge props to funny ladies!! I just left a comment on Momvee's site earlier 'cause she wrote something that caused a panty-wetting moment...cheers, girl... :)

ergo said...

BBFK, I realized as I wrote this post that you are the person who actually knows these funny men of grad school and can back me up on this.

Nice to have you back, Lady.

BeckyBumbleFuck said...

Yup. JE is the funniest man ever. Damn, I need to call him...and PJ, well, other things have clouded the memories of his funny-level. BUt you're right, if I really think about it.