Thursday, July 14, 2005

time travel

When I went to my college reunion some years ago I had this brief exchange with a graduating senior as a much older alumni. And I felt like I was looking through the mirror someone I used to be, or know.

Currently, I have made the acquaintance of a group of young people age 16-18 (half my age). It's pretty weird. We are not exactly friends. People that young, understandably, have a very limited interest in foggies of an age that Thoreau deems untrustworthy. But to interact with them without a dynamic of authority or hierarchy (I am not leader, teacher, parent, or counselor) is unusual in this world. It's not me, it's My Guy - really - who has enabled this to happen. I am too far removed from them but he is close enough generationally to them to connect.

Today I realized that by stepping into this circle of acquaintance, I have fallen through a fold in the space time continuum. To a place that looks an awful lot like my adolescence. These kids are smarter, cooler. more radical, adventurous, and confident than I (or anyone I knew) ever was at that age (and maybe at this age). But that being said, they (the Z's, B, and BE) remind me sooooo much of JS, Bones, RBriteT, TS, and SKu - the kids that I hung out my senior year. So much so.

So this is a shout out to Crossroads from a time when it still looked like an abandoned grocery store, had only been recently accredited, and the cool kids smoked outside in the corner.

To my compadres - I hope that you have not lost the savor of living, that you are still fighting the good fight, and
Bones, I hope you still radiate the positive "dudeness" and good humor that you did back then.

No comments: