Saturday, May 25, 2013

Catching up with old friends

“In my twenties, I pretended I wanted a long-term relationship but just kept picking wolfmen by mistake.  In my thirties I thought my marriage phobia was something chronic I needed to get cured of, like back pain or herpes, but now that I‘m almost fifty I suspect freedom is a secret pleasure girls born in the sixties won’t fess up to.”
 - Pam Houston, Contents May Have Shifted
I was introduced to Pam Houston by a friend named Pam many years ago.  Having recently decided that I need to spend more time reading books and ran into a new novel by Ms. Houston.

I had forgotten what it's like to commune with a poetic soul and to observe and describe the details of your life as a thing of beauty.  What the hell have I been doing with my life that would allow this to happen?

Added to that, it made me laugh out loud on my morning commute.  Which hasn't happened in a long time.

It was like swapping relationship war stories with a long lost friend  who, thankfully, has not changed in the ways that matter and has survived the years whole-souled.

No comments: