Saturday, September 09, 2006

when it rains ...

In fact Friday was a lovely day. Sunny and fine weather. On my part it turned out to be one of those days.

A night of mojitos with co-workers the night before motivated me to do an in depth study of the various zodiac signs and their possible romantic compatibility with my own until the wee hours of the morning.

I overslept and woke to the sounds of children screaming at recess at the elementary school across the way.
A rush to get ready and get to the subway station where I waited for the train for 20 minutes.

On the train I took in some pages of "The Diamond Age" by Neal Stephenson. Deep into a description of a psychedelic orgy ending in immolation, I missed my transfer by three stops. I got off and transfered to a different train to make my way back and thought, "Gee it's neat to be riding above ground ..." I got on in the wrong direction.

Off at the next stop and back on in the other direction. Got in the general vicinity and walked several blocks to make it into work by noon!

The shame! The horror!

The silver lining to all of this is that my boss is currently in the UK.
And I had a phone interview I wanted to do with a person in Australia. 7pm here is 9am there.
So working a later shift was a good thing.

But I think it's best that I adopt the RM's "No carousing on a school night" policy.
After all, corporate tools are most useful when present during banker's hours.

No comments: