Tuesday, October 04, 2005

nose like the mating call of a moose

I am woefully allergic to New York. Whatever it is that they have on the Long Island in this season is killing me. And the meager pharmaceuticals they have to offer do nothing to help me.

The woman in the room next door to me cannot sleep because I blow my nose too loudly. She gave me her nasal decongestant in the hopes that it would help me be more quiet. It has not. I am just stifling snuffles in a big fluffy towel. She felt bad about this and came over to apologize for possibly hurting my feelings. But I have been hearing this complaint from family and boyfriends for many many years. It is what it is.

Just for tonight I am in an austere little room with no radio or television on the campus of the Cold Spring Harbor Laboratory. She need not fear. Tomorrow I will be shuttled off to the seminary with all the other unsavory types.

As for CSHL, the main conference hall is the most beautiful little auditorium I have ever seen. There is a painting in the lobby entitled: unpainted cow jumps the fence. It's a square white cow tumbling over a fence. And the cafeteria served among an abundance of amazing food - chocolate cannolis with the slightest hint of cinnamon. *Wow!*

I am not sure why I am here. I just hope to have a few cool conversations about science and not to be observed sleeping through the sessions.

In a great irony - I drove up to CU to catch a plane to Chi and then NY only to have the first plane have mechanical failure. So I was rerouted. I drove up to CU to catch a plane back down to St. Lou and then to NY.

8 comments:

MomVee said...

I don't suppose you can zip down to see us...

ergo said...

*slaps forehead*

Ach, I'm an idiot. That would be totally doable if I had thought ahead.

Next trip east I will totally take the MV tour!

Kat E said...

Yay, Ergo's in NY! Can't wait to see you :) (Sorry MV, this time she's mine...)

You've got me nostalgic for CSHL though. I have no doubt you will do a lot of sleeping in that cute little auditorium. I know I would if I were there...have a beer for me tonight!

searchingforMrDarcy said...

guess you're gonna miss the Cover Letter doctor this Friday. But have fun being all scientific. I've found that those breathe right strips really help when I'm all stuffed up and my wheezing keeps me up at night. Also Vicks help. If its a runny nose. Take two benadryl. You'll have a headache but at least your nose won't run. Have fun. Miss ya this weekend. Thanks for the walk last weekend.

Jay said...

That is so sad. Don't isolate, we love you!

Lever said...

Ah, but it all cleared up by the time ya got to Connecticut huh? ;) Good job :)

searchingforMrDarcy said...

wait a minute, how would you know if Ergo was still snoring, are you sleeping with the wrong girl? ;)

ergo said...

kat e: the wedding was lovely, thanks for inviting me.

jay: awww, thanks.

lever: things did seem to clear up a bit. Lucky for y'all.

sfmd: the medicinal advice is most welcome. As for the rest, my nose blowing is a bullhorn audible in a ten mile radius. Seriously.