Tuesday, January 29, 2008

Dreamgirl pre-view fixation

A Gentleman asked me at Splash which Dreamgirl I was. I said that I was Jennifer. The reply surprised him, after all, didn't we all want to be Beyonce? He's got a point there, who wouldn't want to be Beyonce? I went with this reply because, Jennifer sings "And I am telling you that I'm not going," the only song I know from the show.

As we bellowed and gestured along to the song, emoting, sweating, huffing, raising our arms and faking our own vocal vamps, he started to laugh and for the rest of the night he would periodically point at me and say, "Girl, you are Jennifer."

The problem with this moment is that I have not seen Dreamgirls so how could I possibly know?


Exhibit A: Jennifer Hudson

Exhibit B: Jennifer Holiday

Exhibit C: Von Smith
This kid is second coming of Sam Harris. I don't know how I feel about the gender pronoun swaps but strange as that is, you cannot deny that he is a Jennifer (an Effie White?)


On further consideration I might not be Jennifer. The part needs a power soprano.

But blessings be to youtube in the privacy of our own homes, with the door firmly closed, we can each have our own Jennifer Karaoke moment.

1 comment:

MomVee said...

Darling, you could never be Beyonce because of what Curtis says to her:
"Deena, you know why I chose you to sing lead? Because your voice... has no personality. No depth. Except for what I put in there."