Tuesday, October 25, 2005

I don't usually notice this kind of thing

I got a burger at Culver's. I sat down to my burger basket and noticed that I was the one non white person in the building. I looked out the window to find that my car was the only import in the lot. And most of the cars were trucks or SUV's. They didn't all move away from me on the group W bench there. But the cashier was suspiciously friendly. And the older gent tried to take my tray from me a few times before I was really ready to throw in the towel on my fries.

Reminded me of my childhood when people were always asking me if I was Chinese or Japanese. I would reply that I was Korean and meet with a look of great confusion. I would try to explain where it was and introduce people to the word peninsula. Blankness. I am ashamed to confess that sometimes I gave up mid-explanation and said that being Korean was like being half Chinese and half Japanese and that my father did indeed know kung-fu and karate.

So the whole experience was like a slice of home, really. That aside, the burger was pretty decent and I have vowed to go back for the custard.

1 comment:

MomVee said...

Hee hee. Group W bench.

I knew about Korea growing up because it was quite the trend in this little town to adopt Korean babies. Also because of M*A*S*H*. Not the best of reasons, but if I had met you then, we could have moved on to other topics a little more quickly.