Thursday, January 05, 2012

The Quotable Aldous Huxley

I was trying to remember a line from "A Brave New World" yesterday and was scrolling through Aldous Huxley quotes. The dude is pretty quotable. He is now on my list of authors to read. What else in his body of work I should pick up?

The quote I was looking for was:
“I ate civilization. It poisoned me; I was defiled. And then," he added in a lower tone, "I ate my own wickedness.”
― Aldous Huxley, Brave New World

It took some doing to find it. There were many other quotes of note to peruse in the first two pages. There were seven pages of quotes. I will have to stay up too late another night to read them all.

A few that struck me:
“Facts do not cease to exist because they are ignored.”
― Aldous Huxley, Complete Essays 2, 1926-29

“Happiness is not achieved by the conscious pursuit of happiness; it is generally the by-product of other activities.”
― Aldous Huxley

“It is a bit embarrassing to have been concerned with the human problem all one's life and find at the end that one has no more to offer by way of advice than 'Try to be a little kinder.”
― Aldous Huxley, Moksha: Writings on Psychedelics & the Visionary Experience

1 comment:

Aldous Huxley quotes said...

“Facts do not cease to exist because they are ignored.”― Aldous Huxley. I like this quote very much. Thanks!! You may like- http://www.quoteschart.com/Aldous-Huxley-quotes