Saturday, May 06, 2006

parachute shopping

According to "What Color Is My Parachute 2005" by Richard Bolles,

the worst ways to hunt for a job are:

1. Using the Internet. 4%
2. Mailing out resumes at random. 7%
3. Answering ads in professional or trade journals in your field. 7%
4. Going to places where employers pick out workers. 8% (I don't get this one like a street corner?)
5. Taking a civil service examination. 12%
6. Asking a former teacher or professor for job-leads. 12%
7. Going to the state/federal employment service office. 14%
8. Answering local newspaper ads. 5-24%
9. Going to private employment agencies of search firms. 5-28%

The best ways to hunt for a job are:

1. Asking for job-leads from: family members, friends, people in the community, staff at career centers - at your local community college, of the high-school or college where you graduated. 33%
2. Knocking on the door of any employer, factory, or office that interests you whether they are known to have a vacancy or not. 47%
3. Using the yellow pages to identify subjects or fields of interest to you in the town or city where you want to work, and then calling up the employers listed in that field to ask if they are hiring for the type of position you can do, and do well. 69%
4. Doing the same as 3. only in a group. 84%
5. Doing a Life-changing Job-Hunt. 86% (Whatever that is. I'll bet the rest of the book explains it.)

Essentially chance favors the bold. Shy people who use no interaction/no contact methods need to have 12-21 times more determination/persistence.

With more methods used your likelihood increases, but only up to 4. Over 4 and your likelihood starts to drop.

I shared a bit of this info with My Guy, who was underwhelmed by my discovery. He already knew this stuff.

*sigh*

The number of things that I don't know and I have no clue how to do is a list that spans from here to the moon. Several times.

It's true that no one is going to answer a question that I have not asked. And the world is not filled with mind readers.
But gee willikers, I kinda wish that one of the over 8 million people who have bought WCIYP and all of their friends who have borrowed and read it would have said something to me at some point in my life.

No comments: