Wednesday, May 10, 2006

further rumination

"Those who forget history are doomed to repeat it."

also quoted as

"Those who cannot remember the past are condemned to repeat it." -George Santayana

Maybe.

I don't think this quote applies to dating patterns. I know lots of people who get back together with their ex'es despite all the crappy things that happened. Crappy things that they have recounted to their best friends over and over and over again.

As for the greater theater of history. It seems like remembering is insufficient. After all, history serves as motivation (or pretext) for exacting vengance - retaliation in a self-perpetuating cycle of violent conflict.

3 comments:

Lever said...

You're right - some people hold grudges and claims for thousands of years... they remember their history vividly and think it owes them... ah, if I thought that I'd take back the castle from "Highlander"... it's my ancestral home... Mine, mine, MINE I tell ya ;) LOL

ergo said...

lever: In the event that you DO get it back throw a big housewarming and invite me. =)

Lever said...

OK will do :) I think there's plenty of bedrooms, I'll just have to go for a recce first ;)