Friday, September 25, 2009

want vs. have / want vs. sell

It's easy to get more than a little paranoid about your privacy on the internet. It's altogether likely that everyone is watching you there. Some are watching everything in general and saving it all, in case there are interesting trends to be observed, or they ever need to find you or someone like you in particular. Others are just stalking you or your cohort, the people who think, feel, behave and spend as you do.

I mistakenly keep thinking in light of this, some people at businesses would be able to find me, read my mind and offer to sell me exactly what I want.

For example this week I want to buy: 10 Temporary tatoos of the Looney Tunes character Speedy Gonzalez and a very tart lemon tart or cake or pan of lemon bars. Alas, the internet today sees fit to try to sell me a blackberry, Levis, iPhone insurance, Tennis lessons, or a local piano tuner.

CK pointed out to me a long time ago that companies are not interested in selling you what you want, they are interested in making you want to buy what they have, by whatever means they can. Still, I live in the hope that the internet algorithms are eventually going to get so good that someone will anticipate my every desire and suss out the specific price point and make the exchange happen such that they make money and my material happiness increases substantially and significantly.

A girl can dream, can't she?

Meanwhile, I while away my hard earned cash on hot dogs and well drinks.

No comments: