If I had 600 dollars ...
I got a letter from the IRS today. Says that the government is going to send me a check some time between July 11th and September 5th. Yee Haw.
So what do I do with it?
Years and years ago, I used to run. I ran a little and miserably, mostly to keep BBFK company. Mostly, I thought about how much it hurt, and how much the flesh on my face was jiggling, and wondering how many laps I had left before I could keel over. Sometimes, while I ran I would meditate on the question: "What would I do with a million dollars?"
Give it away? Give how much of it away? Give it to who?
Buy a truck? Buy a house? Buy a condo? Buy a horse? Buy a hybrid? Buy audio and studio equipment? Buy a rickenbocker guitar and a Marshall half stack?
Start a business? Philosophy shop? Poetry nook? Curio store?
Take classes? Intensive martial arts? Pottery? French cooking? Spanish language immersion? Dance? Yoga teacher training?
That's a million. $600 is a different story altogether.
It's enough money that I think twice about spending it on a nice meal and some clunky shoes. But not enough that I feel like I want squirrel it into a Roth IRA or an S&P 500 Index Fund. Which is probably why I am not rich.
Okay - $600.
I could ...
- go see 5 Broadway shows. I haven't seen Spring Awakening, Wicked, Passing Strange, Avenue Q, and ... one more.
- get a 3 day pass to see All Points West and have money left for beer, food and merch.
- go to Madison, Wisconsin for the National Poetry Slam 2008.
- buy a really, really nice acoustic guitar.
- hang out at a fancy spa day and refuse to leave until they make me look like Gong Li.
- see $600 worth of movies or buy $600 worth of music.
- take a lot of yoga classes.
- fly home to see my parents and chill with them.
- donate it to a worthy cause.
- buy someone a heifer.
So many options. Especially for an event junkie like me.
I'll have to mediate on this.
What are you going to do?