Thursday, February 16, 2006

That cliche about the weather? So true.

The weather was unseasonably warm today so I decided to walk to the Library. Too warm for a coat but remembering years of admonishments from my mother, I took one anyway. Coat on arm, I greeted my neighbors and enjoyed the fresh air.

After taking some time to loiter at the library, prowling the stacks, requesting books through interlibrary loan, I got my fix and stepped outside. There was a little rain. But I had the fabulous leopard print rain coat! The rain seemed pretty light ... yeah, why not walk in the rain? It would be like something out of a movie - a French one, in black and white with an Astrud Gilberto tune in the background.

Right.

Not half a block later the rain got harder. And harder. To my left dark scary clouds were coming in fast. I walked faster. The rain was pooling under the collar of the raincoat of fabulousness. My pants drenched up to the knee. Soggy socks in sopping shoes. And then stuff was bouncing off of me. The weather had dropped 30 degrees. It was hail. Hail?.! Movie, my ass. Maybe "Noah's Ark 2: the Ark of Darkness." I ducked into the doorway of a mysterious business called "Birthplace" until the rain let up a bit.

Sirens started to go off. Tornado warning. Yay! Walk faster. When I got home and jumped in the shower, cold water seeped out of my hair onto my shoulders.

Life lessons?

It's good to be home. My mother is wise. Leopard Print is a classic. And I love my car.

4 comments:

searchingforMrDarcy said...

This blog was very funny and should go into your novel.
As long as you didn't catch a cold, I'd say the experience was worth it.

I too got drenched walking from CLSL to ERML and back. Useless broken umbrella. Good umbrella in car. Oh and it stopped pouring 5 minutes after I got back to CLSL.

ergo said...

Sometimes I wonder if the skies do this kind of thing on purpose.

searchingforMrDarcy said...

apparently one is supposed to go on the internet and check the radar before attempting to walk anywhere.

BeckyBumbleFuck said...

LMAO.