Saturday, February 25, 2006

Reading and Comprehension

Two times recently I have been within earshot of the children's section at Border's Bookstore and overheard a scene between a parent and child in which the parent is refusing to buy a book for the child ont he grounds that the reading level is too difficult.

P: "Next year when you're in 3rd grade we'll get you this book. For now, why don't we find you a book at the 2nd grade level?"

C: "Waaaaaaaah!"

Hearing this exchange distressed me. It's not like the kid wanted a copy of Judy Blume's "Forever" or "Lady Chatterly's Lover." Y'know? Not being a parent, maybe I am missing something here.

5 Comments:

At 12:59 PM, February 26, 2006, Blogger fishlamp said...

That boggles me too. You'd think you'd (as a parent) be excited and buy the book. And even if your child couldn't read it because it was too difficult, you'd already have it for them to try again later. Hell, I'd just be happy that my child wanted a book (versus a video game or movie).

Maybe me not being a parent too, I'm missing something as well.

 
At 9:10 AM, February 27, 2006, Blogger MomVee said...

No, as a mother of three I'm going to muster all the authority I have and say these parents are whacked. What is the world coming to?

 
At 9:48 AM, February 27, 2006, Blogger ergo said...

*Whew* I was worried that it might just be me.

 
At 11:15 AM, March 06, 2006, Blogger BeckyBumbleFuck said...

Yup. I concur. Definitely, there were some freaky parents in your Border's....

 
At 3:18 AM, March 09, 2006, Blogger ergo said...

Gald to hear it. I worry about who is the norm in parenting today. I got a sample size of two for parents who want their kids to read at their approved level and two for parents who want their kids to read period.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home