Saturday, February 25, 2006

Reading and Comprehension

Two times recently I have been within earshot of the children's section at Border's Bookstore and overheard a scene between a parent and child in which the parent is refusing to buy a book for the child ont he grounds that the reading level is too difficult.

P: "Next year when you're in 3rd grade we'll get you this book. For now, why don't we find you a book at the 2nd grade level?"

C: "Waaaaaaaah!"

Hearing this exchange distressed me. It's not like the kid wanted a copy of Judy Blume's "Forever" or "Lady Chatterly's Lover." Y'know? Not being a parent, maybe I am missing something here.

4 comments:

MomVee said...

No, as a mother of three I'm going to muster all the authority I have and say these parents are whacked. What is the world coming to?

ergo said...

*Whew* I was worried that it might just be me.

BeckyBumbleFuck said...

Yup. I concur. Definitely, there were some freaky parents in your Border's....

ergo said...

Gald to hear it. I worry about who is the norm in parenting today. I got a sample size of two for parents who want their kids to read at their approved level and two for parents who want their kids to read period.