Wednesday, February 15, 2006

Back in the Saddle

I could log on to Blogger from Beijing but I could not access my blog. I couldn't access yours either if you were a blogspot. I missed y'all terribly, you have no idea. In fact, I had no idea how addicted I am to constant access to internets until I was deprived of wireless in home and out.

In this deplorable situation I could not write. Seriously, much of the editing gets done after the first time I throw up a post. I could not blog blind. I have some saved drafts that attest to this. It was only the loss of Wendy that spurred me to post from Beijing.

It was four weeks of being away. And now that I am back it is hard to sum up where I have been. It is hard to process what it means. So I warn you that for a while I will be throwing up posts and asides that are prefaced "In Beijing ..." "In Hong Kong ..." "In Seoul ..." This be your only warning on that front.


And onward to the usual suchnots and whatnots that I offer:

1.
Jet lag is kicking my butt. I went to bed at 10:40am and woke up at 8pm when I got a call from CE.

2.
I went to the grocery store today. There's barely anything to eat chez moi. Considering it was midnight, the guys doing the floors were not happy to see me wander through dirtying the floors again, nor was the harried cashier facing the late night rush with no bagger. But walking down those aisles able to read and recognize everything on the shelf in a grocery store ten times the size of any "western style" grocery I visited in Beijing, I started to feel like I am back again.

Though, I will admit that I kinda miss Lay's spicy crab flavored potato chips. Lay's has potato chip flavors tailored to the tastebuds of folks all over the world. Tomato meat sauce flavored, chicken flavored, seaweed flavored, spicy crab, and so on.

3.
I have developed a new fixation. Before I boarded the plane from Chicago to Beijing I bought a book called "Sudoku Easy to Hard." I did twelve of them on the twelve hour flight over. (in ink) I have solved the "Light and Easy," some of the "Moderate", and a few of the "Demanding." To date the "Beware! Very Challenging" puzzles are beyond me.

The constraints and the goal are seemingly simple. The assumption is that there is one way to solve each puzzle and the grid has enough numbers to give you the hints necessary to solve it. And has the added advantage over the crossword of not requiring knowledge of trivia or latin.

4.
With my ridiculous jetlag hours I am grateful for the Winter Olympics. At stupid early hours of the morning I can watch reruns of the Olympics rather than infomercials. My menstrualness is making it a teary experience. The profiles of different atheltes, watching the thrill of victory and the agony of defeat, and worst of all the cheesy copy that announcers are reading call for tissue upon tissue.

Watching Zhang Dan get up from that nasty looking fall and skating with her partner Zhang Hao to a silver medal. Wow! I wept a lake watching that one.

Tears aside, that Johnny Weir is a cutie.

5.
I am in search of new words to express "good or really really very extremely good." Cool, awesome, fantastic, fantabulous, marvelous, great ..." *meh* whatever. I need new words. Any suggestions?

2 comments:

MomVee said...

2. It will now be a goal of my life to taste these spicy crab potato chips. To combine three celestial tastes--crab, potato, and spice (not to mention the taste of frying)--in one food is true greatness.

3. Not-so-big-R. likes the "diabolical" sudoku. I did them for about a week and then returned gratefully to crossword puzzles.

5. Speaking of returning gratefully, I have found myself using the locution of 23 years ago, "excellent," or "totally ex," of late. I also enjoy "delightful," "lovely," and "superb."

ergo said...

Momvee:

I generally can get through about half of the crossword and then I run out of steam. Many thanks for the superb words.

Fishlamp:

Hey! It's nice to be back.