Thursday, February 02, 2012

When not on the wagon

Last night with the best of intentions I met up with CK for a drink. But then I had a red wine flight with cheese pairings. Roquefort cheese, by the way, with a hefty Shiraz is a gift from the Gods. Camembert, however, when paired with a Cabernet Sauvignon /Cabernet Franc blend will taste like dirty feet, very unpleasant.

Going from strength to strength we wandered across the street to our usual watering hole. There was more wine and almond stuffed chocolate covered figs. Perhaps someday I will try to do this at home but with a dark almost bitter chocolate sauce instead of the chocolate shell.

From there we went next door with a new friend to say hello to another friend. While there the cute bartender mixed us a parting shot. Which I should have refused. But I did not.

I did not pace myself, I forgot to eat dinner.

This could happen on any night of reckless drinking. I somehow managed to get home. I expelled my demons, I passed out. I woke up at 5am. There wasn't much to eat in the house so I had two glasses of water and a pear.

Usually when I wake from that kind of a night I want fried foods. I want eggs and bacon with hashbrowns. I want a burger with fries and a milkshake. I want fried chicken with mashed potatoes and buttery biscuits. But this morning I wanted avocado and mozzarella with lettuce and tomato on whole wheat. I didn't want mayo, or salad dressing or mustard. I wanted it dry. Just the AMLT.

It was revelatory. With each bite I wanted wave my sandwich at my co-workers and say, "My God. This is just so amazing. Have a bite. Go ahead!"

No comments: