Monday, February 06, 2012

Re-reversing a reversal - The journey of 10,000 steps

I wrote this post and then took it down to try to tell it in a different way. But then I had a comment from MomVee and it seemed like this thing should go up as was. Plus, I happen to agree with her on the question of spaghetti squash.


The journey of 10,000 steps

JK's doctor told her that the secret to losing weight was to eat right and take 10,000 steps a day. 10,000 steps is about 5 miles.

Rather than our usual plans which are to eat too much and drink a lot, we met up and walked 3+ miles and then ate too much.

We had juice and then walked from Union Square up to 57th street to Bergdorf's and back down to 34th street to Macy's. She was returning shoes. I was purchasing food processor / blender combo.

After which we took the train back downtown and ruined the whole effect by having waaaaay too much Italian food.

It was delightful. But perhaps I should develop some mechanisms by which to exercise some portion control.

There was much to praise and critique about the meal.

I have been thinking about anchovies a lot. The toasted garlic bread with anchovies was a sin. It was salty, garlicy, toasty, oily and mushy all at once. Very nice with a glass of red.

The lasagna was a big cheesy mushy meaty mess. Not an unpleasant one, but I prefer my lasagna to have a lot of substantial noodle in it. And I missed it. Fortunately, the pappardelle was quite satisfying on the pasta front, although the meat in the ragu was tough and chewy.

Funny enough, I really enjoyed the vegetables. The string beans in garlic and olive oil were sweet and just the right balance between crunchy and soft. To start off this adventure we had shaved fennel with olive oil, balsamic vinegar and lots of parmesan cheese.

And even funnier enough, after all that glorious food, I am thinking about the fennel. Two years ago, I signed up to be part of a CSA. I got too much of a lot of vegetables that I did not know what to do with. Fennel was among them. The worst were Mizuna and kolrabi. Kolrabi was an utter mystery to me.

Thinly shaved fennel with balsamic vinegar was a delicate and fresh combo.

I might spend some time playing around with shaved fennel. Maybe recreate the salad or use it in a sandwich with a little tuna salad or a little bit of chicken.

Comment from MomVee
Mizuna tastes like dirt. I really resent humankind for deciding that it and spaghetti squash are edible.

But kohlrabi is delicious in matchsticks and made into a salad or slaw, or roasted. If you're into that cabbagey kind of taste, which I am.

No comments: