Tuesday, January 12, 2010

The latest love of my life

" ... art proves its value by still mattering to people who have been deprived of every other freedom: indeed instead of mattering less, it matters more." - Clive James


On the recommendation of my journalism professor I picked up "Cultural Amnesia" by Clive James. The damn thing is, like 800+ pages. And I am looking forward to reading them.

I hope that he and his publisher will forgive the liberal quoting that I am likely to be doing while he and I keep company. I was bowled over by this line in the introduction:
"Several times, in my early days, I had to sell my best books to buy food, so I never underlined anything."

and I have no doubt that I will continue to be knocked out by what I find between these covers.

*happy dance*

No comments: