Wednesday, July 16, 2008

Deadhead sticker on a cadillac

The LYM and I were having a conversation about bands that are big now that we haven't heard and probably wouldn't like, which for whatever reason led to the Ataris, who are not to be confused with Atari Teenage Riot.

He doesn't like the Ataris but he does like their cover of the Don Henley song "The Boys of Summer."

After some conversation we agreed that the Ataris' cover is good and DJ Sammy's cover is too.

But neither cover can touch the original.

It's entirely possible that a pig with an inner tube could do a good cover of that song. It's that good.

I am trying to think of something in life as foolproof as covering "The Boys of Summer" - a man in uniform, a little black dress, free beer, complimenting a girl on her shoes. These things are pretty solid but compared to that song, I waver and wonder. Today, it's Death, Taxes, and "The Boys of Summer."

3 comments:

MomVee said...

Oh, I do love that song. When it comes on the car radio, if you don't crank it up and open all the windows, I think you should be pulled over and put under arrest.

Is it my imagination, or is there a seagull sound in the guitar solo?

ergo said...

Agreed your first point. A seagull or a guitar with effects that make it sounds seagull-esque. I can't really tell ...

Kat E said...

In high school I had a huge crush on a guy (he looked like Axl Rose...not that I'd find that attractive *now*) who had an old Caddy with a Deadhead sticker on it. I always found that amusing.