Thursday, January 31, 2008

A night at the opera

"This is my Jerry Springer moment. / I don't want this moment to die. / So dip me in chocolate and throw me to the lesbians. / I don't want this moment to die. "- Baby Jane

This evening, I finally got to Carnegie Hall for the very first time. VR and I saw "Jerry Springer: The Opera." This is not a family show. But then, again neither is the Springer Show. The first act is Jerry Springer as an opera. The second half gets much more fanciful and tries to reach into the heart of a show like his. In the opera, Jerry Springer himself admits that he does not resolve conflict or solve problems for the people who come on his show. Mostly, he gives them a place in which to expose themselves to each other and the world.

The format is a live reality with no author to give the whole experience context or shape or meaning, no editor to cut meaning into the sequence of images and events. There is no clear unified moral to these stories, although Jerry Springer does close each show with comments.

"... it's been a hell of a day. I've learned that there are no absolutes of good and evil and we all live in a glorious state of flux [...] for better or for worse, history defines us by what we do, and what we choose not to do." - Jerry Springer of the opera

It's a pity that Broadway would not give it a home. They get an "L" for Lame.

No comments: