Thursday, March 08, 2007

Closing Time

The laudromat that the RM and I frequent has closed its doors. They have finally gone out of business. I think we all knew that it was coming. Every time I went in there W was yelling at me that different washers were broken. Some wouldn't run hot, others wouldn't run cold. In others the water smelled ... swampy.

There were very few dryers that were working. There were 9, then 7, then 5. Sometimes there were fewer. Sometimes it seemed like the dryers would only work if W was the one who turned the handle.

Sometimes it seemed like she was the only one who could get the door slammed tight enough so that the washer would start.

So I guess it was time. Though, I have grown so accustomed to W that I don't know what it will be like laundering with out her.

4 comments:

keNYC said...

laundromats pretty much rule. my old w. village one also had a firecracker for an owner/operator....basically, you learned quick not to go anywhere near "her" washers and dryers. i totally miss the place. good memories there. good place to sit around and peoplewatch and daydream....

one of my roomies just moved in from living at the same place in the east village for 8 years, and he went to the same laundromat the whole time. apparently he refuses to go to a laundry in the new hood...he went back to his old haunt today even though he had to take a cab there and back. laundromats are totally one of those jane jacobs-ian city streets community thingamajigs...

(ken, have you been drinking again?)

Lever said...

Ah, we call 'em "Laundrettes"

It's been many years since I went down the Laundrette... used to buy a couple of cans of beer and a magazine and get sloshed whilst I was waiting for my laundry...

ldbug said...

Oh, maaaaaann! They closed for good? I really liked the cranky people there and the fact that I could come and go:-(

ergo said...

kenyc: Now you have a new laundromat or are you one of them folks with the laundry room in the basement?

lever: I walked by a joint referred to as a laundrette just the other day. In CU we had a place called Suds and Suds. You could wash your clothes, get a beer and play a little pool.

ldbug: I'm bummed. We have to truck our clothes three extra blocks in any direction to do a wash. On the other hand we can stand next to the machine during a spin cycle without the danger of falling through a shaky and collapsing floor.