Thursday, March 01, 2007

Ain't no cure for the uncertain of copyright violation blues

Recently I made up my very first knock, knock joke:

Knock, knock
-Who's there?
Olive.
-Olive, who?
Olive the leaves are brown.

I posted it on that online dating site I've been lurking on and someone left me a knock knock joke as a comment:

Knock, knock
-Who's there?
Andy.
-Andy who?
Andy sky is grey.

Which I found to be pure genius. And in thinking about these two knock knock jokes in juxtaposition I thought of a third:

Knock, knock
-Who's there?
Ivan.
-Ivan, who?
Ivan for a walk.

So heady with the thrill of authorship and group inspiration I tried to propose a project on the ORG based on this exchange. Except that I don't know what I am doing on the ORG. I thought I could post text and invite other ORG members to post their own knock knock jokes. And apparently the project section is all about the sharing of photos, video, and audio. There doesn't seem to be a way to share snippets of text.

Errr...

Ok. So, I recorded myself saying all three of these knock knocks. I sang the last line of each one. Adjusted the amplification levels, Converted the file to MP3 and ... well that's where I got kinda stuck.

Uhhh...

See ... if you want to upload and share a movie you can do it at YouTube. If you want to upload and share a photo you can do it at Flickr or Photobucket or something.

If you want to upload and share an MP3 ... there's not obvious place to do it. I mean, you can put your stuff up on myspace and play it on their player. You can put your stuff up on purevolume and play it on their player.

I had a thought, maybe I could upload it to a yahoo briefcase and link to there. No such luck. If you want to upload a file to yahoo briefcase you can for free. If the darn thing will recognize you file. Yahoo briefcase doesn't like knock knock jokes.
And if you want to share your files publicly, you have to pay for that privilege.

So I turned to the google oracle to see what she might tell me.

Boomp3.com? I must guarantee that I am not violating a copyright by throwing audio of myself telling knock knock jokes.

Which got me thinking about the fact that i do not have a lawyer on retainer in case I get slapped with an injunction for telling knock knock jokes.

mp3-host.com? Same thing.

Archive.org and www.ourmedia.org? You need to put it up there with a creative commons license.

And frankly I don't know if I am able to post someone else's knock knock joke without permission.
I don't know if a series of knock knock jokes that are lousy puns based "California Dreamin" by the Mamas and the Papas is kosher from an intellectual property point of view.

*sigh*

What I mean to say is that I am
too miserly
too cowardly
too neurotic
and too lazy to post 27 second piece of incredibly dorky audio.

******edit**********

In case you are not the sort to read the comments. This is a correction: JD Lasica was kind enough to stop by and set me straight.

"Feel free to post it at ourmedia.org. We've never required a Creative Commons license -- you can choose any variation of copyright you want, including full copyright."

Straight from one of the founders, my friends.

8 comments:

keNYC said...

knock knock
who's there?

ana. (pronounce with eastern european accent--you know, so it rhymes with "Donna")

ana who?

ana winter's daaaaayyy

=D

ergie, im telling you! create a geocities account. it takes 5 mins. upload your junk. host from there! copyright issues dont apply--do you think that dork in GA is going to sue you for using his joke? he might take it as a sign of erotic lust on your part for him, but he will not sue you. and, do you think any record company is going to go after a cute asian girl posting knock knock jokes? i mean, i have a wu tang song on my myspace page and im not worried about it. and look how far that attitude's gotten me....

ldbug said...

Oh, mean yahoo! How can they not like knock knock jokes;-)

keNYC said...

KNOCK KNOCK

who's there?

Abby.

Abby who?

Abby safe and waaarm...

keNYC said...

*knock knock*

who's there?

Eva.

Eva who?

Eva was in L.A.


=D

on a quasi-related note, did you know that if you google "ergodica" you are the fourth listing? also, there is a wikipedia entry, which i will be checking out and am incredibly, voraciously curious about, but have to go eat lunch now before i pass out...

JD Lasica said...

>Archive.org and www.ourmedia.org? You need to put it up there with a creative commons license.

No, you don't. Feel free to post it at ourmedia.org. We've never required a Creative Commons license -- you can choose any variation of copyright you want, including full copyright.

jd lasica
co-founder, Ourmedia

keNYC said...

knock knock.

who's there?

Cal.

Cal who?

Cal E. Fornia dreamin'...

ergo said...

kenyc: You represent true progression in the knock knock field.

You just encouraged me to google myself. I can hardly believe that I am on the first page. I feel like I've been nominated for a Grammy. ;)

As to the copyright issues ...there are documentary films that have been enjoined because someone in the frame was singing happy birthday. Mama Cass' kids might sue the socks off of me. You just never know. But I suppose if they send their law dogs after me I could just take the thing down and apologize for writing bad knock knock jokes.


knock knock.
-who's there
On a whim.
-On a whim, who?
On a Whim ter's day.


ldbug: the yahoo thing was such a disappointment. =(

knock knock
-Who's there?
Norma Lee
-Norma Lee who?
Norma Lee I'm not a big fan of knock knock jokes. I blame all of this on SXE

(slight ripoff from the comic "100 bullets")

jd: Thanks for the clarification!

keNYC said...

yeah....i have that effect on women sometimes...

(sorry, couldn't resist)

*knock knock*

who's there?

Al.

Al who?

Al stop now...