Tuesday, November 21, 2006

chauvinism in the studio or society?

Watching all the media flak and corporate crap that Jordan McDeere goes through on Studio 60 just kills me.

And it seems like she gets it way worse because she is a woman in a position of power. Everytime she gets a talking to from Danny, or Jack, or Wilson about how she has to do something to fix her image and to make people like her she points out the double standard at play in the scenario. Their response to this is frown a little, shrug it off and stress that she needs to fix her media image problem.

I feel so frustrated and straitjacketed right along with her. Because apparently the world has changed enough to give her the opportunity to become president of a major television network but not enough to let her keep that job without ongoing attempts to publically humilitate her and try to get her fired. I really feel for her.

This is despite the fact that she is a socially awkward, very ambitious, corporate tool and a oddly kind of a goody goody what for all scandal she's had in her life. Kind of like a grown-up Lisa Simpson who's taken some weird turns and made a few too many compromises but still retains her soul - by a thread - and manages to come off shiny as a penny.

(Or perhaps because of the same fact ... it's really hard to say.)

Then she confesses that when she took the job she decided to run the network as if she had one year to live.

Which has me asking myself what I would do if I had one year to live.
I would like to think that I would take risks and cut to the heart of the matter at every moment.
My fear is that the most likely scenario would be that I would cry and mope for two or three months and then live my life usual except eat more chocolate and ice cream.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Running a company as if it's the last year of your life? Sheesh, I'd like to think I'd do something more interesting, like see the Great Wall, or eat the most chocolate ever;-)

searchingforMrDarcy said...

Isn't it funny how characters on a fictional show/movie can really upset or inspire us.

Kat E said...

I don't watch that show regularly, but last night I was pleased to see them use lighting on Amanda Peet that actually made her look a little older. I found it hard to believe that someone who looks 28 could be the head of a network...