Saturday, February 18, 2006

Things that seep in

It is funny what you will pick up from the air without realizing. It is funny how quickly something foreign can become familiar and viceversa.

In my second week in Beijing I had picked up a new conversational tick. When someone made a statement and I wanted to express that I was on the same page I would say "Ah, ah, ah, ah." Or "Ungh." Where before I would say "Uh-huh." or make some other kind of sound that I can no longer recall.

I remarked on this and CE pointed out that the repetitive sound is a common way to respond in Chinese. "Dey dey dey"( right right right) or "Hao Hao Hao" (good good good) And the "Ungh" grunted response was also quite prevalent. Somehow after a little over a week in which I did not speak to a single Beijinger I had picked this up from the air, the sounds of the streets, the interaction between CE and many a cab driver in navigating about the city.

It is actually still with me like a stubborn bar stamped ink mark from a wild night. I wonder if it will stick or fade with time. Rather how long it will linger. Surely, everything fades with time.

2 comments:

searchingforMrDarcy said...

I still say "hella". And it's been about 14 years since that was actually the norm. However I rarely say "totally" and that's been about 18. So you may be stuck with this tick for a good decade at least.

You'll have to call me up an demonstrate "Ungh". This sounds like a negative to me. Or the name of a caveman. ;)

ergo said...

Ten years is a lot of Ah's This sounds not good.

I may not have transcribed it accurately enough. But it does sound cave-ish, for sure.