Thursday, August 18, 2005

Wednesday

*the next five posts are a boring blow by blow account of my move. to the best that my addled brain can recall it.*

Up at 10am
We unload My Guy's stuff from the truck
and some of my stuff
I try to do a little unpacking
After the internets are up I have trouble getting anything unpacked.
We take the truck over to my parents house.
Unload the rest of my stuff into my parents' basement.
They are chastizing me for bringing so much home (irony: a lot of it stuff they have given me.)
My Guy tries to assure them that I did throw a lot away and I did sell stuff.

They want to convince me to stay in science and do more research or to teach. I don't think this is a good idea. A ten year grad student whose career can best be described as a daisy chain of all-nighters and missed deadlines, who got too depressed to leave the house and got distracted by the pursuit of love and drama in her relationships and many a hobby, the most recent of which you are looking at, who procrastinated in writing her thesis for about two years ... is not a future member of the National Academy of Sciences.

We left Kitty. *sniff* My baby! I miss her so much after only a few hours.

We returned the truck. The South Kingshwy UHaul service center is run with great efficiency and courtesy. A real delight.
And when we got back I could not stay awake any longer. Despite My Guy's best efforts to motivate me to stay up and have us get dinner, I sacked out. Got up around 10pm and went grocery shopping. Got way too much food b/c I was starving.

And then had the desire to commit this all to memory.
Because ... I don't want to forget this. I want to plan my next move very far in advance. I want to stop procrastinating. I want to talk myself out of buying stuff until I get rid of more than 50% of what I own. And even then, I want to own less. I want to not pull any more all-nighters unless it is for fun. I want to say "no" more often such that I can actually competently take care of the things that I say I will do and stop falling short on my promises and obligations.

I want to remember who was there and what happened and why. I want to remember what a friend will do for you and to remind myself of what kind of a friend I want to be. And i want to remember to whom I am indebted. and figure out a way to repay.

6 comments:

MomVee said...

Wow. Hey, have you thought about teaching high school science, Ergo? Not a lot of money, but more than a grad student makes. Your students would love you because you're so cool. And you would have summers off to pursue hobbies. You could be like Jack Black in School of Rock and form a student band...

Kat E said...

Good idea momvee! I've thought about teaching myself...it's not hard to get certified once you have a big bad degree :)

Just wanted to express my sympathies for all the moving-related crap. (tortoise shit??) I think cleaning out our basement will be almost as painful as your move was (moreso for J, who has kept jsut about every piece of mail he has received in his entire life...

Sassy said...

Congrats on opening that thesis defence champagne bottle!!! That's a big deal, I hope it was good champagne.

The best part about moving is...oh wait, there's nothing good about it. My least favourite part is when you think you're done and then you look around and realize now you have to unpack everything. But you're almost there!!

ergo said...

Momvee: I have thought about it a little bit. I am still thinking about it a little bit.

Kat E: The closet was the tortoise pen at My Guy's place. they like to dig. They like to patiently dig through whatever you put down to protect the carpet and flooring and then do as they will.

I had the same mail problem. I had tons of mail, statements from accounts that have been closed, receipts. You name it, I was keeping it ... for future fact finding. =D

Anna: It was excellent champagne.
Right now, I can't walk across the room without banging my shin. Getting closer, though! You too! Yay!
(Sorry about your books. I got very distressed reading that.)

Louisericks8647: I am deleting your comment. If you want to sell on your blog knock yourself out. Please do not try to peddle your junk bonds here.

BeckyBumbleFuck said...

You *definitely* need a vacation. *I* feel like I need a vacation, just pondering you doing all that. Worn me next time...I'm off for a nap, or something....

ergo said...

BBFK: Sorry 'bout that. I will label it more carefully next time. =)
I might I need a vacation from my vacation as well. Still, there are recuperative acts at work here.
I turned to My Guy today and said: "It may be possible to eat more and sleep more than I am these days, but I wouldn't recommend it."

Ellen: Thanks! I'm glad to know that it's not just me. I am now committed to being mindful of moving karma.