Wednesday, August 24, 2005

the downfall of civil society is market convenience

At the Publix (Southern Grocery chain) they have a DVD $1 rental vending machine. You swipe your credit card, scroll through the rental offerings, and they spit out your movie. It is a dollar rental a day with a $35 charge after 14 days. You swipe your card when you return it and stick the DVD back in the magic machine they charge your credit card $1.07. This is the future. This is a business that you want to invest in at its IPO along with Netflix. Low costs, low prices, almost no employees ... this, friends, is a further Walmaritifcation of living.

I admit that sometimes I miss the snotty, surly clerks at the Bijou Video Rental store who were always mocking my rentals if they were not directed by auteurs and did not have subtitles. And I like the hearty hello and the small talk you get at the Blockbuster and Hollywood Video. But $1 a DVD. A $1! Gah!

2 comments:

Sassy said...

Wow!! I'm super-impressed. I would love to have one of those in my back yard...

ergo said...

A: Oh yeah. If there was one near me I would be wriggling with glee.