Thursday, July 28, 2005

Waiting in Vain?

When I talk to conservatives they are amazed that I am not one as well. "It's just that you seem smarter than that," they say with a condescending smile.

When I talk to conservatives I am amazed that they are conservatives. "It's just that you seem like a decent and caring person," I think to myself.

As the Bush administration barrels through its second term I still search for signs from someone in Congress, in the White House, in the Supreme Court, in the Republican Party, among the Neo-cons, on the religious right, among old school Reagan Era Republicans to show us this compassionate conservatism that was promised. (Is a one time $300 tax credit all I'm getting out of this?)

I wait for the compassion to wash through the nation like a waterfall bringing material and emotional support, kindness, and comfort to the people.

It's less like a waterfall and more like a wallsized Where's Waldo poster.

I am not convinced that you can be compassionate, kind, or generous while ruthlessly maximizing your profit margin.

No comments: