Monday, July 04, 2005

grumbling wallflower

Despite my parents best efforts, despite my efforts to change (or to at the very least hide it), I am all those horrible things that people tell you about only children.

I understand that in the grand scheme of the universe I am the tiniest of specks. I am one carbon based life form in a swirling infinity. And that my problems (or victories) don't amount to a hill of beans in this crazy world.

Still, being an only child, being spoiled rotten, being a Daddy's girl, being a faculty brat, knowing that at one time I was at the center of someone's universe is heady stuff to overcome. It's hard to shake. I wonder if I ever will completely.

Even now there are days where I don't want to be merely thanked, I don't want someone to say "Hey, nice job!" I want the smallest act on my part to elicit a standing ovation or a parade in my honor. I want to stand in the center of waves of adulation.

I realize that I have done nothing deserving of such treatment, that it is a ridiculous thing to want.

Nonetheless, there are days that I want to be Queen. I want to look around and see that queenie-ness reflected in the eyes of others.

I am not particularly proud of this. It just is.

4 comments:

BeckyBumbleFuck said...

Now, *this* is a quotable, applicable to many situations, able to be used by many types of peeps, as well.
"I want to look around and see that queenie-ness reflected in the eyes of others."
Spot on, lady !!!
:D

searchingforMrDarcy said...

I was not an only child and still had a queen complex. Perhaps its the Daddy's girl thing. Or if you're the baby like I was. Anway the one thing grad school definately taught me was, "The world does not revolve aroudn me".
Actually this can be quite refreshing, because if your boss is mad, or one's friends seemed miffed, I just think, "It probably has nothing to do with me." And usually I'm right.

Kat E said...

Girl, you are just going to have to come to grips with the fact that the world cannot possibly revolve around you. It is too busy orbiting ME. ;)

ergo said...

Hah!

Alright, I see that this room is crowded with Queens right now. Ladies, let me suggest that we relocate to the garden - more room for our egos and the better for others to admire us.

=)