Wednesday, June 08, 2005

Roadtrip with the Milkman of Human Kindness

If you're not doing anything on June 11th, you might want to ride your bike naked. The FAQ on this site is just ... great.

Yesterday I drove up to Chicago to pick up My Guy. I was an hour late b/c I was stuck in city traffic caused by four accidents (one in the express lane) and much congestion. And so our big beautiful reunion after a 10 day separation was him being withdrawn and bored and me being a testy scary bitch for most of the ride. Yes, love is a many splendored thing but the reality of traffic, the airport and a two hour ride home didn't take on the gloss and glow that it would in the movies.

BB used to say that I don't get hearts and flowers because I don't inspire hearts and flowers. I used to think he was just being a prick. On further reflection it's true that I like flowers in the garden and pictures of flowers more than cut flowers that wilt and die in a vase. Hearts are a different matter. While I am very cynical and skeptical. I love me some hearts, not cookie cutter hallmark mass produced ones, the ones that are unique to you and particularly for me. (ok, actually I like the cookie cutter ones too. mmmmm cookies ...)

*where was I?*

Rather than cope with rush hour traffic we stopped in Chicago for a sandwich and drinks at a charming yuppie bar with deep deep couches. I got to walk by the Double Door! *Hee* The venue that hosts many many of the bands that I have never heard but would like to see. It was like walking by a celebrity. If we had passed the Metro too my heart would have burst.
He suggested that we stay in Chicago for the night. But we then realized that we both had reasons we needed to return to Urbanana. =P

Driving up to Chicago I shared the ride with a double CD of the Best of Billy Bragg. I am in love with the song "The Boy Done Good." It makes me think of RB and her transatlantic romance. I want someone to write me a love song in where he refers to me as "a little black cloud in a dress." (Must I Paint You a Picture) The songs about class and unions and fascists and the evils of globalization, I was expecting, the soulful sad love songs, I was not prepared for.

"If you love me, why dont you show it?
If you hate me, why dont you let me know it?
Why dont you just pick up something and throw it?
You just sulk"
-Billy Bragg

This blog is kind of a retread. old news, old music, old movies. I'm an old lady. It takes me forever to get through my list of things to do. And you can imagine that if I am just now getting to Billy Bragg I won't be getting to the "next big thing" for a few decades.

7 comments:

MomVee said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
MomVee said...

Go directly from Billy Bragg to Wilco, if you have not been there already. I love everything on Yankee Hotel Foxtrot, especially "Heavy Metal Drummer," its lyrics redolent of high school:

I sincerely miss those heavy metal bands
We used to go see
On the landing in the summer.
She fell in love with a drummer, etc.

ergo said...

MV: I have in my later groupie years transferred my affections from the lead singer to the rhythm section. I will check out Wilco. The album recommendation is greatly appreciated!

Jcrash: A serenade punctuated by the sounds of farts is probably what that trip needed. And yes. Chicks dig flowers. I just never feel like I enjoy them enough. I put them in the vase turn around and they are brown and slimy. Plus it depends on the flower offered. Lilies smell like band-aids.

BeckyBumbleFuck said...

OK. Well that was a solid reason as any to dig into the Marc-storage music files on the 'ole harddrive and grab the Billy Bragg. Thank god I don't have to get sappy over it now. And it gives me an excuse not to listen to Automatic, the Pointers Sisters song that's been on repeat. *smile*

BeckyBumbleFuck said...

Unfortunately, the song you referenced isn't in the stockpile. I'll go google the lyrics, I guess. And is both RB and BB me? Or just RB? Who's BB? :)

ergo said...

Ellen: Crazy coincidence for sure! "New England" is the first Billy Bragg song I ever heard.

BBFK: Automatic? I am speechless. You are RB. B is Bri, and BB is Barnes. You might have been just B in an earlier post. Consistency is not my strong suit... =)

BeckyBumbleFuck said...

Yuck to BB deserving of any referencing in blogland. :( (I *still* have maintained the inclination to kick his ass.) *the skinny girl says* *smile*