Friday, June 03, 2005

Paul Giamatti

Can I just say that I really really like Paul Giamatti? I think he's amazing. If he were a French actor he could get those straight up leading man roles ( You know how those french films are with their funny looking leading men and their cool elegant leading ladies). But as an American actor he occupies a different kind of space. I am glad that he is working.

American Splendor and Sideways were both amazing. American Splendor in particular shows that he is not merely a foil to other characters but has the presence to fill the center of a story.

What clinches it for me is this movie called "Duets" I saw the other night. It's an ensemble piece with three storylines about unhappy people who karaoke. Giamatti is a man clawing to escape from his life of quiet desperation. He has snapped and on his wild ride he picks up Andre Braugher, an ex-convict just released from prison. This storyline is a rocket that blasts through this little slice of life movie and rips it up. Not at all what the cover of the video box would lead you to expect.

No comments: