Tuesday, May 31, 2005

I know I should not

But I am going to buy the Maroon 5 album "Songs about Jane." Though I really hate the song "She will be Loved," the song "This Love" is cause for a dance break anywhere, anytime. And "Sunday Morning" is equally gorgeous.

And here I lose all credibility with the serious music fan.

I suppose I should just go out and get the entire Stevie Wonder discography. 'Cuz I am so enamored of the poor imitation due to great love for the original.

I am also one of few people who really likes the self-titled Liz Phair album. Maybe it's 'cause she and I are of an age. Love/Hate, Favorite, Rock Me, these are songs that I can relate to as much as I relate to Fuck and Run.

And while not quite on the subject here's my crappy AM radio test for songwriting. Loud is good and high quality acoustics are great. But if you have to have either(or both) to like a song, that song is merely passable. Dynamics can convey emotion. Plain old volume is a crutch. If your song is played at regular volume through a crappy mono AM radio and still hooks people in, you have a strong song on your hands.

2 comments:

Hon Don Gerard said...

i like that liz phair album, too...in fact, after hearing her actually "sing" i find myself loving her old songs, but being disappointed with her flat vocals.

ergo said...

It's funny that her voice has changed because she quit smoking.