Tuesday, May 31, 2005

The flower of youth

I am watching "Down to You". It is surprisingly not bad. Julia Stiles is a young woman who gives such an impression of seriousness and consequence she is often too heavy, too substantial for the romantic teen flicks that she gets. Strangely, starring opposite Freddie Prinze, she is light and loose. Their on-screen chemistry is open and sincere, earnest and vulnerable, fearless. And in the midst of being a pale imitation of Annie Hall it captures the thrill and discovery, the freshness of your first big love.

Beyond their good looks I cannot get over their youth. It amazes me. The Mary Kay director said that the part of a body that age the fastest are the hands and the neck.

I look at my neck and the creases on my face and my hands and I marvel that I do not remember noticing when all of this happened. This showing the signs of time bit.

You who are so young, so very very young who think nothing is ever going to change and that you will live forever.
And you who are starting to notice that you are changing and starting to think that someday all of this will end.

Go to the mirror and take a long look at your neck. Look down at your hands. Now take a big twirl and admit to yourself that that twirl felt good and you look good.

No comments: